tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Terényi Balázs <tere...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Context deletion on redeploy
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:39:19 GMT
Christopher,

First of all thanks for the reply.

> > 4. Using Tomcat Administrator application the admin changes
environment settings defined in conf/Catalina/localhost/warname.xml
(which was extracted from the war).

> Why would you make an administrator do this when you can make it part of
the deployment process?

Because I'm not the one who makes the deployment. Think on an enterprise
application which has new versions, which customers (many!) can download
and deploy over the old one. All of them have different settings I don't
know.

> > The only way was to put resource links to the war/META-INF/context.xml
that link to GlobalResources.

> This isn't true. You can put "real" resources into META-INF/context.xml.
Why not just do that?

It is constant (like hardcoded in the application). I can't say to
customers: unpack the war, modify a file each time you deploy a new
version. Thats OK that I can overcome on that with some sort of
automation, but that is what JNDI is for: storing runtime settings.

Regards,
Balázs

> > But now I have to deploy the same unmodified war many times to the
same tomcat so I have to use different settings at each webapp.

> I would highly recommend changing your deployment strategy so that you
are deploying a /modified/ copy of your WAR file each time -- one that
has the correct settings for your environment.