tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wm.A.Stafford" <staff...@marine.rutgers.edu>
Subject Tomcat hangs, what to do to diagnose the problem?
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:06:20 GMT
Our Tomcat 4.1.30 instance seems to hang about once a week. i.e. the
application is unresponsive and it can not be restarted from the
management console.  Tomcat must be restarted to restore functionality.
There is nothing in the logs to indicate explicitly what is going on.
The only logging that may be diagnostic is what gets logged when we
attempt to restart the hung application.

2007-09-27 10:49:55 HTMLManager: restart: Reloading web application at
'/OWEB'
2007-09-27 10:49:55 StandardContext[/OWEB]: Reloading this Context has
started
2007-09-27 10:49:55 StandardWrapper[/OWEB:ControllerServlet]: Waiting
for 66 instance(s) to be deallocated

I'm not sure what this means but if there are 66 instances of the
applications controller servlet that could be a clue as to what is going
on.  There should be only one.

This instance of Tomcat is running only our application.  We did not see
this behavior with the previous release.  We do not see the behavior on
any of the three development/test machines.

Along with a new release we moved from Java 1.4 to Java 5.0.  The server
in question is running Linux.

Can anyone suggest diagnostics to tell what is going on?
Are there any known scenarios that result in this 'hung' behavior?

Thanks for any guidance,
-=bill