tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Java 1.6
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:31:59 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>>> Subject: Re: Java 1.6
>>>
>>> I don't believe that javac has undergone significant upgrades through
>>> the years...
>>>
>> Actually, it has, but the big improvements were between 1.3 and 1.5.
>>

> Really? Other than crap like auto-boxing, attributes, and foreach-style
> 'for' syntax, what has the compiler done for me, lately? I see all that
> as syntactic sugar.

IME, there was a big jump in application performance from 1.3 to 1.4,
and a smaller one from 1.4 to 1.5.  That may well have been due to the
improvements in the JIT compiler, though.  The addition of generics in
1.5 was an important improvement in making reliable code the first time
around, too.

There were also significant enhancements in the language to make certain
operations a lot easier from 1.3 to 1.4, and again a smaller jump from
1.4 to 1.5.  I can't come up with any specific examples right now, but I
certainly remember thinking how nice it was when I upgraded my app and
was able to replace large chunks of hand-written code with one or a few
lines of new method calls.