tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Franck Borel <bo...@ub.uni-freiburg.de>
Subject Re: Problems with JAAS-Realm
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:21:59 GMT
Hi David,

thanks again for your time!

> There is only one instance of your realm that is shared by all incoming
> requests. That mean only local values inside methods are individual.
> Every property that is stored at instance of class level is to be
> accessed and stored in a ThreadSafe manner. It's up to you code to be
> Threadsafe by assuming several Http Threads can run it at the same Time.

I am not so shure if I've a clear understanding of the realm architecture. So
let me present my view of it:

Context --> Singleton?
     Valve --> Singleton? Valve is the one who passes requests and responses

               objects
         Realm --> Singleton?
                   here I get requests and responses objects passing through the

                   Valve that wrapps the realm. A call of the
                   request.getRemoteAddr() invokes the valve to get current
                   request informations, which is out of scope of the current
                   informations I get about the user in the realm (except
                   username and password, which are set in the callback handler).
                   How this is done? Which pattern is used, listener?

> You can, however, make the assumption that the Thread that goes inside
> your realm methods is the same that will serve your request. As such,
> you can save datas for later use by same Thread using ThreadLocal.
Any example?

> However, Threadlocal are to be used with caution. Do not forget to set
> their value back to null our you could face a case of memory leak.
Ok.

Thanks!

-- Franck

> En l'instant précis du 21/09/07 13:21, Franck Borel s'exprimait en ces
> termes:
>> Salut David,
>>
>> thanks very much for your answer!

>>> req.getRemoteAddres() will get the address of that specific request,
>>> it's isolated from other simultaneous request, or lots of people would
>>> start getting problems using it. I would be more enclined to take a look
>>> at where you are defining the session and ipAddress properties, it looks
>>> like they are class or instance level, where it's mandatory that Realm
>>> be ThreadSafe and stateless.
>> This sounds like as my problem seems to be elsewhere as I supposed. I
>> have no idea where I should tell tomcat to keep the thread statefull.
>> I tried to set some page directives on my login.jsp:
>>
>> <%@ session="true %> (which I think is standard)
>> <%@ isThreadsafe="false" %>
>>
>> This doesn't help. Of course, it can't work, cause the Realm is a
>> valve and therefore the Realm is the part who calls the login.jsp page
>> and the directives of the page appears, in manner of speaking, "to late".
>>
>> How can I tell the Realm to get ThreadSafe? Or have I missunderstood
>> something?
>>

>> -- Franck

Beste Grüße

Franck Borel

Dipl.-Hyd. Franck Borel            Telefon: +49[0]761-203 3908
Universitätsbibliothek             Fax    : +49[0]761-203 3987
Werthmannsplatz 2                  E-Mail : borel@ub.uni-freiburg.de
                                    WWW    : http://www.ub.uni-freiburg.de
D-79098 Freiburg