tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: tomcat can not connect to MySql
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:03:20 GMT
Can you provide some specifics of your environment?

Tomcat version
OS
Mysql version (both driver and server)
Both tomcat and mysql on the same machine?
If not, any firewalls that might be timing out a connection?
How long does it run before it doesn't work?
Can you post the full stack trace of your exception including root cause?
In your design, are you holding on to connections or closing them as
soon as you are done talking to the db?

Mysql server does timeout connections after 8 hours by default.  If you
are using tomcat's database pooling, this can be fixed with the simple
addition of a validation query in the config.  In any case, it's best
practice for the code querying the db to close connections as soon as
reasonably possible and not keep them open.

--David