tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Basic Toimcat5.5 admin question
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:27:42 GMT
Chris Baty wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I  finally got Tomcat5.5 going on Etch  AMD and  I start studying the  JSP developers
guide but I get stuck in  the beginning.   The book says to create a  new directory under
 ROOT but  I  don't have permission in my default account.  The  last  install I  did a  chgrp
/user/share/tomcat5.5-webapps/ROOT www-data (this is the apache usser in Debian) but I screwed
 the package up so  bad that I re-installed the system.   Could anyone tell me how the is
typically  done?
> Thanks.

option 1: change to a user who does have permission
option 2: install tomcat somewhere your user has permission (see below)
option 3: read a linux manual*

it sounds alarmingly like you've installed an RPM or distribution of
some sort.  we generally don't recommend that, instead get a freshly
built, up to date release from tomcat.apache.org and unpack it in a
suitable directory.

* if you screwed a distribution by changing a permission on a dir I'd be
surprised, but then if you did that you ought to be doing a lot more
reading before you try again...