tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing Tomcat 5.0.X, hardware or software?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:28:53 GMT
bajistaman wrote:
> Many Thanks for your comments, I have everything working now using a HW load
> balancer but the ssl is being managed by every node just because the guys
> from networks think that we need to upgrade the current HW Load Balancer to
> be able to support it and that is not going to happen soon.

The caveat with that solution is that now you are doing TCP session load
balancing, not HTTP load balancing.
When the traffic flows in SSL through the LB, it prevents the LB to make
load balancing decisions based on the HTTP protocol.

And to do stickyness with TCP load balancing, you don't have much
information except the SRC and DEST IP addresses to go by.(and the
session itself, which is not relevant when it comes to HTTP since it is
stateless)

Filip