tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Legal Risk of Using Tomcat
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:14:45 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Irvine, Chuck R [EQ] wrote:
>
>> I hope no one thinks this thread is off topic....
>>

> Actually, this is totally on-topic, and I'd love to see what some others
> have to say. See my response below.
>

>> There are many in the company I work for that would like to leverage
>> open source software in general and and Tomcat in particular.
>> However, our legal staff resists the idea because of perceived legal
>> risks.
>>

> Specifically, what are they fearing?
>

>> I know that there are companies who provide indemnification as part
>> of their open source support products, but I wonder to what extent
>> such indemnification is really necessary. Could those that have
>> experience or knowledge in this area please comment?
>>

> It sounds like what your legal folks are looking for is CYA coverage --
> if something breaks spectacularly and loses confidential information or
> whatever, then they don't want to be liable.

My guess was different:  that they were concerned about using software
that might later be claimed to be covered by somebody else's patent,
like M$ has been threatening with Linux.  If my guess is correct, then I
seriously doubt there's anything to worry about there, because Tomcat
has been written as open source from the beginning, and nobody has ever
claimed patent rights over it.