tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lionel Crine <lcr...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: an easier way to deploy war file?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:37:40 GMT

Peter Stavrinides a écrit :

> If you set up Tomcat correctly, and place all your jars in the correct
> places you can hot deploy the war without a restart. This works over
> plain http, you don't even need access to the server, all you need is a
> password for the manager (it's better to use a database realm).
>
> There are many ways to secure the manager in production, the simplest is
> to remove the manager.xml and host-manager.xml files from the
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/ directory, or if your
> configuration permits allow the manager url to resolve only on the
> internal network, this is a typical scenario if tomcat is left to run on
> a secure port.

If you do that and want to use the manager again, you should replace
those files ?
If so, I'll be really annoying to do that.

For my part, I did a deployment shell to do all the gregor's action
(because my servers are on DMZ).

Last thing, the less applications are deployed the faster the server is.
That is also why I don't use the manager.