tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wm.A.Stafford" <staff...@marine.rutgers.edu>
Subject Can two Tomcat web apps deadlock each other?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:05:34 GMT
We are deploying a newer version of a web app to run in the same Tomcat
instance (1.4.31) as the existing version.  On our development servers,
winXP,  if the new version encounters a startup problem the production
app will start and only the new version will fail.

On the production server, which is linux, Tomcat seems to 'hang' on the
first failure encountered when starting the new app and nothing further
happens. Tomcat has to be restarted after deleting the new app when it
enters this state.  In the localhost log the last log entry is the
exception logged from the new app and there is no further logging.
Since we have been doing some database changes the usual error that
causes this is Jakarta DBCP connection failure but we have also seen it
for a missing class file.  So I  don't think the error per se is at the
root of the problem.

To me this looks like a deadlock.  Is it possible for one Tomcat web
application to deadlock with another?

An obvious difference is windows vs linux servers.  Could there be some
config issue for Tomcat on linux that would lead to this behavior?

We are completely stumped by this, any ideas or suggestions would be
appreciated.

-=bill