tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tomás Tormo <tto...@indenova.com>
Subject Noob needs help with a webservice wich uses resources located in a folder
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:09:21 GMT
Hi

  I'm quite noob about tomcat topic. I'm using tomcat 5.028 in Ubuntu
6.10 and I would like to find an anwer to my question about web services
because i'm not able to solve it. I've written a java applicattion wich
uses a wrapper to communicate with an applicattion written in C, wich is
the "core" of my applicattion. Both the wrapper and the core are third
party applicattions, and because of that i don't have the source code, I
just have the API.

The third party sent me an example application wich uses the core. And,
as I could see in the script wich lauches the application, this folder
should be added to the classpath in order to be able to be located by
the wrapper applicattion. The documentation of the wrapper just says
that this folder has to exist with an specific name.

My problem is that my applicattion works fine launched from shell (it
founds the folder and uses the core perfectly) but it doesn't work as a
webservice. It is not able to find the resource folder (let's call it
"cfg"). As I can see in the catalina log, the application tries to load
the resources (via ClassLoader I guess) and then launches an exception
saying that is not able to find it. The client  gets a HTTPErrorCode0.

I've tried a lot of ways to solve it: I tried to launch tomcat with the
classpath modified from the shell itself(making it point to the folder),
tried to export the classpath from startup.sh script, tried to export
the classpath from catalina.sh script, tried to modify the CATALINA_OPTS
variable, tried to put the folder in both lib and classes folders of the
webservice folder... but nothing worked.

Please.. could you help me to solve this problem? I think I've tried all
the options that came to my mind (except declaring a resource in
server.xml file, altought I don't know If this wrapper uses JNDI to
access to the resource..).I hope I explained myself well.  As I think
you can see, I'm quite noob with tomcat, so please don't be so hard with
your answers... :'-p

Thank you very much!