tomcat-users mailing list archives

From albrecht andrzejewski <albrecht.andrzejew...@ema.fr>
Subject RE: Basic question - Ingterating Tomcat with Apache
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:40:21 GMT
Quoting Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com>:

> What are you doing that doesn't just need a vanilla Tomcat?

Peter... I plan to have a box, and I just think about pro and cons...

I think tomcat stand alone is
-> easier to deploy.
And that's all.

I think apache as a front end is a more flexible and secure solution.
-> if apache fails, tomcat is not affected
-> if tomcat fails, apache can redirect request to another tomcat
-> when you serve static content juste like image of your site and all
static text part , javascripts, etc ( i mean... dynamic content is
often just an hour ticking at the top of the page!) apche can better
handle the request and serve them quickier (with cache).

Am i wrong ?  As i have currently nothing pre-installed on it... and
it would be fine to know what you are thinking about it. You seem to
be pro vanilla tomcat... But just let us know WHEN pure tomcat has to
be choosen !
I need an expert point of view, so tell us about what you experienced !

Thanks :-)