tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Morten" <mor...@bilpriser.dk>
Subject Memory problems
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:09:47 GMT
Hi

We have implemented a picture server in Tomcat.
The pictures are cached in a map. When the memory is nearly full, some
entries are removed from map.

However, eventually the entries in the map become fewer and fewer even
though the memory consumption stays high. In other words more and more
memory are used outside the map.

According to a heap dump done by jmap, there are many
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk instances referencing large byte[],
which we suspect to be previously used pictures.

We have tried both Tomcat 5.5.9 and Tomcat 6 under JBoss 4.2.0. Both showed
the same behaviour.

Are there any way to stop Tomcat from cached these large byte[] internally?
The ByteChunks are referenced from IntermediateOutputstream, C2BConverter
and OutputBuffer.

Best regards,
Morten Knudsen