tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Cheung <qwee...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: OT tomcat embedded 5.5 localhost alias
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 01:42:32 GMT
That explains things quite clearly
thanks for the quick reply :)

cheers
Alex

> From: parsonstechnical@gmail.com> To: users@tomcat.apache.org> Subject: Re: OT
tomcat embedded 5.5 localhost alias> Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:38:13 -0400> > It
has nothing to with Tomcat in this case.> > http://localhost> > equals> >
http://127.0.0.1> > equals> > http://AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD (the IP address of the machine)>
> When it comes to accessing the web page from the machine that is hosting the > site.>
> The above is not exactly correct when it comes to things like firewalls and > such.
So please no lectures on this.> > The first two only work from the machine to itself.>
> The third will work from any machine that can connect to the host via a > network.>
> Now in order to use http://myHost there must be something to convert it to > either
the second or third item above. On the Internet the DNS servers do > this for you. For
local use you either have to have a DNS server with the > entry for myHost OR use a host
file. If you find your host file and open it > you will find the entry that makes the first
example above work. If you are > running this on someone else's machine then I am unaware
of any means to do > this without modifying their host file.> > Someone on the list
may have a way that I am not aware of.> > > > ----- Original Message ----- >