tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nathan Hook" <hoo...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: utf-8 encoding problem
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:50:10 GMT
A few things...

First, what type of apostrophe are you using?  Are you using a typical ascii
apostrophe (') or are you using the Microsoft slanted apostrophe that comes
out of word documents (&#8242;)?

Here are two links that describe the problem:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#win

Now after reading that you're still having issues, then here is what needs
to be done to get utf-8 encoding to work.

If you're using mod_jk make sure that the ajp connector is set up to encode
using utf-8 like so:

<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

Next, make sure that the request AND response have been set to use utf
encoding.  The request MUST have its character encoding set BEFORE any
request parameters are requested or the request will default to the machines
character encoding.

public class ContentTypeFilter implements Filter
{
  private static org.apache.log4j.Logger log =
org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger("tracking");

  public void init(FilterConfig config)
  {
  }

  public void destroy()
  {
  }

  public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
FilterChain filterChain) throws IOException, ServletException
  {
     request = (HttpServletRequest)request;
     request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");

     response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
     response.setContentType("text/html;charset=UTF-8");

     filterChain.doFilter(request, response);
  }
}

Finally, I would also set the meta header on the jsp page to be utf-8 just
to be complete...

Regards...