tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: tomcat memory realms & tomcat-users.xml
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:38:22 GMT
> From: Matthew Kerle []
> Subject: tomcat memory realms & tomcat-users.xml
> I've read the tomcat docs on memory realm:
> and I want to expose the org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase
> class to the web service context via a <ResourceLink...>.

You probably don't want to do that (even if it's possible, which I
doubt), since all code in the webapps would then have access to the

> I'd like to be able to authenticate users without having
> to add a <security-constraint> to my web.xml, so that
> unauthenticated clients can still connect.

URL patterns in the <security-constraint> allow you to control which
portions of the webapp are accessible to unauthenticated users.  If you
want something with finer granularity, a filter is probably appropriate.
Take a look at:
for a popular one.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.