tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Memory usage with multiple instances of tomcat
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:36:12 GMT
> From: Peter Sparkes [mailto:peter@didm.co.uk]
> Subject: Re: Memory usage with multiple instances of tomcat
>
> The commands -Xms3g -Xmx3g will set the min/max heap to
> 3 GB, please how do I set the RAM for each instance of
> Tomcat5.5 to 2 GB

You can't set the amount of RAM for any process - the OS decides which
processes get how much RAM out of the total available.  Unfortunately,
Linux isn't particularly good at optimizing paging, so you're best to
keep the aggregate of virtual space allocations under the total RAM.
With three instances of Tomcat running, each with 3 GB heaps, you run
the risk of excessive paging if all the heaps get close to full at the
same time.  You might want to reduce the -Xms and -Xmx settings to
something like 2512m.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.