tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@symphonious.net>
Subject Re: Very Slow Startup with APR
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:23:50 GMT
On 21/08/2007, at 5:39 PM, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> WAG: your APR uses /dev/random as random source which blocks when it
> runs out of entropy.
> You could re-build APR after you ./configure'd it with
> --with-devrandom=/dev/urandom
> or you could try Mladen's advice here
> http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=118209169008472&w=2
> "Or one can simply create a $HOME/.rnd file by himself
> with 'openssl rand -out $HOME/.rnd 2048'"

Bingo! It's deceptive that the delay comes before the mention of the
HTTPS connector - that combined with some bad advice I found on the
internet confusing configuring Java to use urandom instead of
configuring APR and I thought I'd eliminated that option.

In the end, ~root/.rnd and ~tomcat55/.rnd were both ignored but
setting the RANDFILE environment variable worked. Not sure what it
was defaulting to.

Anyway, everything now starts up lightning fast. Thanks for the help.

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net