tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat jsessionid and mod_rewrite
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:08:38 GMT
Peter Stavrinides wrote:
> Although I am not responsible for the front end, I seem to recall we use
> mod_proxy for the reverse proxy. We have front end Apache web servers
> that listen for requests externally, internally I can access Tomcat
> directly. mod_rewrite is used to make our applications on Tomcat and
> Apache appear as one.
>
> I use a Java Servlet on Tomcat 5.5.20 with JDK 6.02 ... What I am
> curious to know is if the cookie gets set correctly with this
> configuration? could the proxy be interfering with normal Tomcat operation?

I would not expect Tomcat to behave differently in itself. But yes, the
reverse proxy could e.g. filter the cookies or mjore likely, the cookies
need some sort of rewriting in order to fit to the URL the client is
using to connect to the reverse proxy.

You need to involve your frontend people, it's very likely the solution
will be found in their configuration. If they use AJP13 to connect to
Tomcat, most (all) of the translation should be done automatically. If
they use HTTP to connect to your Tomcat, some translations have to be
done inside Apache httpd. This will be easier with Apache 2.2, than with
2.0.

There are separate discussion lists for Apache httpd.

One thing that might help, depending on what the frontend people do
exactly: there are proxyName, proxyPort and scheme attributes for the
Connector elements in server.xml:

Regards,

Rainer