tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Facing problems with class loaders in tomcat 5.0
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:37:20 GMT
Questions/comments inline:

vaibhav vashishtha wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i am currently facing a problem with the class loaders of tomcat 5.0
>
> i need a no of common jar files to be accessed by multiple web apps which
> are deployed in the webapps directory of tomcat
>
> Problem description:
>
> 1. Need to place the common jars(to different web applications) at a central
> location which can be accessed by different web applications at runtime
>
> What i have tried:
>
> 1. I have tried placing the jars in the shared/lib and common/lib
> directories but of no avail : tomcat doesn't start

common/lib should work "out of the box".  What do you mean by "tomcat
doesn't start"?  Can you post the very first error message/stack trace
from your catalina.out log file?

> 2. I have put the jars in the root directory of webapps folder : tomcat
> starts but web app fails to initialize

root directory of webapps folder?  Could you write this out as a path so
we can see what you mean?  I ask, because as I read it you are placing
the jars in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT.  That will not work -- for the
ROOT webapp, they need to be in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib.

> Main Concerns:
>
> 1. the jars should be accessible at runtime.
> 2. is there a way to configure the common and shared classloaders for
> accessing the jars at runtime

--David