tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <>
Subject Re: Very Slow Startup with APR
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:32:22 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Well, the comment doesn't seem to match what the code is doing :)

OK, this statement of yours might relativize the impression of dumbness
I have given here a little bit. Or maybe not ;-)

> I'm guessing that the problem the patch was trying to solve was
> due to the /dev/random issue itself, so bypassing that
> seemed a valid solution...

Yes, that matches what Rainer said wrt to this change.

To summarize the situation as I understand it: if someone experiences
the startup delay caused by /dev/random blocking he has (at least) the
following options to speed things up
1. Recompile APR after configuring it using
--with-devrandom=/dev/urandom (or some other non-blocking random source)
- that's what I did.
2. If tcnative < 1.1.10 is used, set the environment variable RANDFILE
to point to some random source which can be accessed without danger of
blocking (for example /dev/urandom) or create a static random file in
the home dir of the user Tomcat is run as.
3. Use tcnative 1.1.10.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: