tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Delbecq <delbd+jaka...@oma.be>
Subject Re: 20 Tips for Using Tomcat in Production
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:26:47 GMT
Very nice. May i suggest 2 comments perhaps?:

6... If you're loading several applications with several of the same
library dependencies, consider moving them from the applications'
|WEB-INF/lib| directory to Tomcat's shared library
|{catalina.home}/shared/lib|. This will reduce the memory used by each
application and result in smaller WAR files.

You should make a remark that this change the behaviour of webapp:
 a) Shared classloader is searched in last ressort when looking for
classes, according to
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html.
 b) Because the classes are shared, they share config & singletons and
if they store objects statically they will prevent webapp unloading

7...Consider JDK 1.5 or even better JDK 1.6 to take advantage of
performance improvements.

Note that you can gain even more performance if you recompile your
"string concatenation hungry" (d="aaaa"+b+"ccc") support libaries for
jdk 5+ on a multi CPU system. This is because jdk5 uses the
non-synchronized stringbuilder instead of the jdk 4- synchronized
StringBuffer. And synchronization over multiple cpu takes a few more
cycles than on single CPU machines.

En l'instant précis du 21/08/07 14:10, Shane Witbeck s'exprimait en ces
termes:

http://www.noooxml.org/