tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Singleton <p...@jbgb.com>
Subject Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:20:22 GMT
Kim

Do you have reason to believe that the OutOfMemory exception
is due to:

  * some cumulative effect (e.g. memory leak), in which case
    you need to restart, preferably (just) before it happens

  * the qty of active sessions, so you need to load-balance
    when near some threshold (offload to a less busy server
    iff poss else "please come back later")

  * the complexity of some user's request, in which case your
    app isn't really "down" at all...

Paul

Kim Albee wrote:
> Tracy,
>
> The JSP does a call to a method in our app -- which if it runs, that means
> the app is up and available -- the method does a simple query against the DB
> and then returns a status of OK if the method runs through just fine.
>
> In our example from this weekend -- the health.jsp (which is the one that
> does this check) ran and returned a good result, but the main
> index.jspreturned the 500 error with the OutOfMemory exception.  So
> that is what is
> confusing here.
>
> thanks,
> Kim :-)
>
> On 8/20/07, Nelson, Tracy M. <Tracy.Nelson@nelnet.net> wrote:
>> How is your JSP checking your application?  Are you issuing a request to
>> your app and checking the HTTP status?  If so, why isn't it recognizing
>> the 500?  Or is the JSP in your application which is failing?

Paul Singleton
Jambusters Ltd

tel: 01782 750821
fax: 08707 628609