tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <>
Subject Re: Very Slow Startup with APR
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:53:11 GMT
Adrian Sutton wrote:

> In the end, ~root/.rnd and ~tomcat55/.rnd were both ignored but
> setting the RANDFILE environment variable worked. Not sure what it
> was defaulting to.
> Anyway, everything now starts up lightning fast. Thanks for the help.

I had just re-read Mladen's mail and experimented with RANDFILE myself,
thinking that setting it to /dev/urandom might be the easiest solution.
I strace'd Tomcat but couldn't find any hint that the value of RANDFILE
is honored. Since my APR is built to use /dev/urandom I can't be sure,
but if you just restarted Tomcat doing some typing and mouse-moving in
between, the speed increase during startup might just be a result of
/dev/random having gathered enough entropy in the meantime to satisfy
Tomcat's read request without blocking.

Does Tomcat start still fast if you do something like
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null bs=1
let that run for a couple of seconds and start Tomcat immediately after
interrupting it?

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: