tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <>
Subject Re: Very Slow Startup with APR
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:39:42 GMT
Adrian Sutton schrieb:

> I've been setting up Tomcat 5.5, with Java 5 on a Debian Etch server
> with a lot of success and just one problem - Tomcat seems to take a
> long time to load. I think the problem started when I installed APR/
> tomcat native and enabled SSL through it but it's hard to pin point
> because the whole setup came together largely at once (it's a brand
> new server).

WAG: your APR uses /dev/random as random source which blocks when it
runs out of entropy.
You could re-build APR after you ./configure'd it with
or you could try Mladen's advice here
"Or one can simply create a $HOME/.rnd file by himself
with 'openssl rand -out $HOME/.rnd 2048'"

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message