tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <mailing-tomcat-u...@schoenhaber.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat SSL/HTTPS Performance vs Apache
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:26:20 GMT
Berglas, Anthony schrieb:

> Has anyone done any performance analysis of Tomcat's SSL performance,
> especially compared to Apache.  It is rumored that Tomcat is unusable
> without Apache in front for SSL, but I wonder if that is true.

And whoever made this claim did surely provide a verifiable analysis
that backs it up?
I doubt that.

> Our application will have lots of clients making short connections, so
> it is the RSA processing time that is critical.

Especially if you use APR I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference in
performance between httpd and Tomcat, because in this case both use in
essence the same code.

But whatever I think is quite irrelevant. How Tomcat behaves in your
special use case is something only you can find out for sure.

Regards
  mks