tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: - Error -404 resources not found
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:26:27 GMT
Ok, so you enabled the invoker servlet.  Personally I wouldn't, but
that's just me.  Does it work and respond before you made those
changes?  Are there any messages in any of the log files indicating a
problem?

--David

nowled@excite.com wrote:
> I installed tomcat and:
> 1. I named  the environmental variable to JAVA_HOME and it was set   to c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01
>

> 2 I edited the context.xml  configuration file and added reloadable="true" to the  <context
> tag.
> I changed it to <Context  reloadable="true">
>
> 3 I went to the web.xml file to de-comment the invoker servlet:
>
>   <servlet>
>         <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
>         <servlet-class>
>           org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet
>         </servlet-class>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>debug</param-name>
>             <param-value>0</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
>     </servlet>
>
>   4. Next I de-commented the:
>
>        <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>
>     5. I then created a class directory at: C:\TomCat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF
>        once there I created a folder named----classes.
>
> When I start TomCat from the command prompt I get server startup in 2092 ms. (Seems Successful)
>
> But still when I open my browser and type http://localhost:8080/   I get HTTP Status
404 - / The requested resource (/) is not available.

> I'm a little stumped because I have done every possible thing that TomCat has given in
the troubleshooting section of their documentation and also I have uninstalled JDK and TomCat
on a couple of machines but still the same response. So it must be something I'm doing wrong,
but I have no idea what it is. I have tried numerous of combinations and even tried fresh
machines.

> Any Thoughts would be appreciated

(6 .*.) on a Windows XP server:>>  1. I setup the system variables Java_Home to my JDK
(Not JDK Bin)it''s JAVA_HOME., not Java_Home -- case sensitiveDoes the base Tomcat install
work? Welcome page, examples, etc.?>  2.  I edited my Context.xml file second tag line
to <Context reloadable="true">it's context.xml, not Context.xml -- case sensitive --
and what do you meanby "second tag line"?  a context.xml file should contain <Context/>
as theroot element.>  3. And I commented out some lines Web.xml files (mapping,invoking)It's
'web.xml', not Web.xml -- and is this in your webapp or some other?>  When I run TOMCat
from the command line, it loads properly with no problem, but when I open up Any browser (firefox,
internet explorer)  I get an error -404 resources not found.And you're sure you don't have
a firewall preventing access to theport Tomcat is using?-- Hassan Schroeder