tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' in Tomcat 5.5.12
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:09:53 GMT
In my experience, a resource is usually only relevant to one webapp.
There's no need to put it in server.xml as a GlobalNamingResource unless
you want that resource available in all your webapps.  Moving the
resource to the <Context> block of a context.xml file also makes it so
resources can come and go with deployment of an individual webapp
without restarting tomcat and disrupting all the webapps.

Developers could define their Resources in the <GlobalNamingResources>
... </GlobalNamingResources> block of server.xml and then add a
<ResourceLink> element to the context.xml file.  That'll get you out of
having database specific information in the <Context ..../> element.
See this page for further details on that:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/globalresources.html

--David