tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Kerle <matthew.ke...@sra.com.au>
Subject Re: JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' in Tomcat 5.5.12
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:54:33 GMT
Hi David

David Smith wrote:
> My only editorial comment on the page is to NOT place your
> <Resource.../> or <Context .../> definition in server.xml as
> recommended on the page.  Place it in context.xml or myapp.xml as I
> describe above.

Just quickly, I was wondering why you recommend this? I know the tomcat
docs have changed to reflect the deprecation of defining the
<Resource.../> or <Context .../> definition in server.xml, but I never
understood why, and personally doing things that way is a serious pain
for me since it means I need to build a separate deployment descriptor
for dev, test & prod, which means I need to know the prod database
details. which I don't want.

Is there a better way that the sysadmin can setup a JNDI datasource so
that deployed war's don't have to contain database-specific details? the
only way I've seen so far is to configure that in the server.xml...

cheers!

--
Matthew Kerle
IT Consultant