tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Kerle <>
Subject Re: tomcat performance on static content over SSL/non-SSL
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:13:10 GMT
doh! load-balancing of course...

I don't know, I'm a stickler for the old "do one thing, do it well",
tomcat rocks at serving dynamic java, apache rocks at being internet
facing serving static & CGI. the jk connector is good & solid, so I'm
happy to keep everything separate and only have tomcat serving dynamic
pages. plus that way if you ever run into scalability problems you have
the infrastructure to scale right there!

* Matthew Kerle
* * IT Consultant *
* Canberra, Australia*

Mobile: +61404 096 863
Email:     Matthew Kerle <>
Web:      Matthew Kerle <>

Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Matt,
> Matthew Kerle wrote:
>> Apart from integration into a larger site or static content, when would
>> you put httpd in front of tomcat?
> This might count as "integrating into a larger site", but I use Apache
> httpd to front multiple instances of Tomcat through a single port number
> (by mapping webapps individually through mod_jk). This allows me to
> start and stop a single webapp, upgrade the JVM and/or Tomcat running
> it, and then bring it back up again without disturbing the other
> applications.
> - -chris

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: