tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Shraibman <>
Subject Re: utf-8 encoding problem
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:42:30 GMT

Nathan Hook wrote:
> A few things...
> First, what type of apostrophe are you using?  Are you using a typical
> ascii apostrophe (') or are you using the Microsoft slanted apostrophe
> that comes out of word documents (&#8242;)?
It's &#8217;

> Here are two links that describe the problem:

That basically says that some windows chars doesn't display properly.
That isn't my problem.  It displays properly when I set the char
encoding to utf-8.  My question is why doesn't it submit properly if the
original page was sent utf-8 but does submit properly if the original
page ISO-8859-1?
> If you're using mod_jk make sure that the ajp connector is set up to
> encode using utf-8 like so:
> <Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
> protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8" />
> Next, make sure that the request AND response have been set to use utf
> encoding.

Aren't all requests submitted as application/x-www-form-urlencoded which
is an encoded form of unicode?

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: