tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alec Bickerton <alec.bicker...@minick.ch>
Subject Tomcat native.
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:20:26 GMT
Hi,

I've only recently returned to using tomcat since tomcat 4.0.1 and I
note that things have moved on somewhat. I'm currently working with the
Tomcat 5.5.xx line. I would like to know is :

What exactly is the advantage of using the tomcat-native library?

I work with some fairly large Linux cluster, that typically have more
than 2 tomcat instances for physical server. These machines have a large
number of request and use a significant amount of RAM as you'd expect.

The Web page states.
Advanced IO functionality, OS level functionality and Native process
handling .

Which is all very good, but it doesn't tell me what I need to know in
order the convince the people higher up the food chain, to at using it.
 From the testing I've done, performance difference is marginal at best
and memory usage is virtually the same as without.

What real world impact will this have on applications that don't use
OpenSSL, but do need lots of thread and lots of memory.

Regards,
Alec