tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat books (was Re: Tomcat and servlet the nightmare)
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:37:22 GMT
I have no doubt Tomcat: The Definitive Guide is very good although I
would suspect it's targeted to the tomcat servlet container specifically
rather than java servlets and jsp.

At the point you are at, a book that targets java servlets and jsp is
better than a book that target's tomcat.  And when looking at books on
the subject, look specifically for the servet version they cover.
Tomcat 5 and 5.5 are servlet spec 2.4 while Tomcat 6 is servlet spec
2.5.  Given Servlet spec 2.4 and 2.5 are from the same JSR-154, you
should see only minor differences in the API between the two.

Lastly, I think you should eventually read the servlet specification
itself downloadable from http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/details?id=154.  As a
spec, it's not a bad read and can clear a lot of confusion.  I have it
printed here in my office and constantly refer to it.

I don't personally have a favorite book as I've been using tomcat since
version 3.3 and any recommendation I could give is horribly outdated.

--David