tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat and servlet the nightmare
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:46:38 GMT
<rant mode="venting">I have to tell you guy, true nightmares exist in
answering questions from people who obviously haven't made any attempt
at learning the technology before throwing stuff together and asking
questions.  Please do us a favor and get a recently written book on
tomcat.</rant>

You posted the global web.xml file.  Is that what you really have in
your webapp?  If so, it's not necessary to copy that whole thing.  This
should stay right where you found it in the conf directory.  Futher,
your helloworld class isn't defined in the web.xml you posted or even a
servlet mapping for it.

I'll even help you get started a little:

webapp folder structure:

WEB-INF/
  web.xml
  classes/
    tutorial/
      HelloWorld.class

web.xml:

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
  version="2.5">

  <servlet>
      <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>tutorial.HelloWorld</servlet-class>
  </servet>

  <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>hello</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>helloWorld.html</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Source for HelloWorld.class:

package tutorial ;

import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet ;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest ;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse ;
import javax.servlet.ServletException ;
import java.io.IOException ;

public class HelloWorld extends HttpServlet {

  public void service( HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp
) throws ServletException, IOException {
    PrintWriter clientOut = resp.getWriter() ;
  }

}

Build and try it out.  depending on the webapp name you give it, the URL
will look like http://localhost:8080/tutorialWeb/helloWorld.html.  Keep
in mind this is the most basic example possible.  There is also an
example available on the tomcat website.

--David