tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mladen.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat with/without Tomcat native library
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:06:33 GMT
Petr Sumbera wrote:
> Hi Bill and all,
>
> not sure what is the right way for comparison between using and not
> using APR. I tried Apache ab tool like this:
>
> ab -c 4 -n 10000 http://localhost:8080/favicon.ico
>
> And I don't see any difference. Actually it might be little bit slower
> with APR. The file size is 21630, so it should use sendfile then (well
> actually our APR doesn't use sendfile at the moment as far as I know).

The purpose of APR is to change the model from thread-per-connection
to thread-per-request. This means it will behave much faster when
you have 1000 concurrent clients using Keep-Alive (HTTP 1.1).

In that case you'll be able to serve them all with lower number
of maxThreads.

So, try to use the 'normal' test tool instead a brute force one like 'ab'
that will reflect the real load to your boxes.
I mean, the ab (Apache Bench) is a DoS tool, right ;)

Regards,
Mladen.