tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marco" <>
Subject Wrong JVM version
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:02:11 GMT
Hello everyone,

I have got problems to define the right JVM that my tomcat should use.

Formally installed JVM: Free Software Foundation, Inc., version 1.4.2

I installed manually SUN JVM, version 1.6.0_02-b05

I have modified the file tomcat5.conf:

Changed: JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java"

In this line: JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_02"

Now the situation is as follows:

Giving the command ‘service tomcat5 version’ tells:

Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.20

OS Name: Linux

OS Version: 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6

Architecture: amd64

JVM Version: 1.6.0_02-b05

JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

Seems right to me. However giving the command: ‘ps –aux’ the system tells:

/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java –server –Xmx1024 –Xms1024….

And when I write a java-program that is asking for the vendor name and
version, the program confirms that SUN JVM is not used:

System.getProperty("java.version"))  à 1.4.2

System.getProperty("java.vendor")) à Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Can anyone tell me in what stage the system falls back to the previous JVM?