tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <and...@2sheds.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat with 8 GB memory
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:03:59 GMT

On 26/07/2007, at 10:57 AM, Joe Nathan wrote:
> I would discourage to use such machine! 8GB means you are using 64 bit
> machine which will be much slower than 32 bit machines. Big memory
> is useful
> ONLY if you have applications that can benefit big memory such as
> database
> systems. In Java, if you use lots of memory and create lots of
> objects, your
> Java applications will have periodic seisures! This is because of
> garbage
> collection will take significant time, if started.

Dear Joe - I have more than 1 or 2 of these machines (16GB RAM, 6GB
for Tomcat).

The Sun 64bit JVM 1.5 is about 15% faster than the 32bit for our
application.
(Running under Tomcat)

> I would be happy with 1 ~ 2 GB 32bit machines! This could deliver much
> faster services.

Java eats memory...

The more memory you have, the more you can cache and the less you
need to
annoy your backend.

Andrew