tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nathan Hook" <hoo...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat5.0.28 character encodingg problem
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:54:46 GMT
I think my statement of "most browsers will ignore this value" might have
been a tad bit on the excessive side upon further reading and i was hoping
to have that read as don't only rely on using the meta tag.

>From my understanding there are broswers where they can set their own
content type no matter what comes down in the response.  Even if the content
type is set in the header or with a meta tag.  I'm not saying this is a good
thing.  I'm just saying that I read this somewhere in passing when we were
trying to figure out how to character encoding.  Some browsers just won't do
what you're ask them to.

However, setting the content type in both the header and in the meta tag
isn't a bad thing.  It can only really help you.  Its much like when you're
asking the client and all the intermediary servers not to cache any of your
pages.

Setting a few of the cache-control values should work, but its best to send
all the values you can to make sure that you're communicating to everyone
you can.

httpResponse.addHeader("Cache-Control", "no-chache, no-store,
must-revalidate, max-age=0, proxy-revalidate, no-transform, pre-check=0,
post-check=0, private");

Even in the case above.  If a intermediary server wants to cache your
data... its going to cache your data.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is if there are many ways of telling a
browser how to handle something, implement everyone of those ways.  Because
you aren't guaranteed that any specific was is going to work on all
browsers.

Warm Regards.