tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat with 8 GB memory
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:22:57 GMT
> From: lightbulb432 [mailto:veerukrishnan@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat with 8 GB memory
>
> The last is at the following link, several performance
> graphs for Linux show a slight or sharp decrease in
> performance for a given Tomcat instance beyond a certain
> number of users! Why is this?

http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part1/
index.html

Read the text, don't just look at the pictures:

"In the next part of this report, we will find that tuning the JVM
memory parameters resolve the performance slump that we saw in this
round of testing"

They overloaded a toy machine (512 MB - get serious) and saw GC issues.
Nothing to do with Tomcat, just with overrunning their setup.  Running
multiple instances of Tomcat (or any other Java application) means you
have _less_ aggregate heap memory available than for a single instance.

I suspect running with JRE 6 would avoid the slump even without tweaking
the heap settings, but I don't have time to verify that.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.