tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: HttpSession questions
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 00:36:35 GMT
> From: lightbulb432 [mailto:veerukrishnan@hotmail.com]
> Subject: RE: HttpSession questions
>
> If however, I were to change my code and pass the return
> value of Servlet's getServletContext() to my class, would
> a session still be created

No, no session is created.

> Out of curiosity, why is there a getServletContext() on
> HttpSession?

You're not asking a Tomcat question here, but rather one that concerns
the servlet spec.  Such questions and comments should really be directed
to the appropriate JSR working group.

> But is there some design reason you can think of that the
> method is in the session but not request object?

Requests have relatively short lifetimes, while sessions and contexts
typically exist orders of magnitude longer.  Since there's a trivial
solution to your problem, I don't think it's a big deal.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.