tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: CGIServlet
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:35:00 GMT
> From: Robert J. Carr [mailto:rjcarr@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: CGIServlet
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>
> So I'm not following, are the resources "TOTALLY invisible to web
> applications"  or are they "made visible through this class loader"?

Both.  You've made the incorrect assumption that "made visible" means
"made visible to web applications", which is incorrect.  A classloader
makes classes and resources visible to whoever has access to the
classloader; webapps do not have access to the Catalina classloader.

> If they are "TOTALLY invisible" then your suggestion wouldn't work, as
> the CGIServlet is in /server/lib.

Tomcat is the one that processes the servlet mappings, so the CGIServlet
needs to be visible only to Tomcat, not the rest of the webapp.

> So, in summary, you're saying the only way I can get CGIServlet
> defined in a single webapp is to leave servlets-cgi.jar in /server/lib
> and require an administrator to rename it?

Put it in the deployment script for your webapp - with appropriate
documentation about what it's doing.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.