tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Anton Melser" <melser.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problems with mod_jk modifying headers
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 07:03:49 GMT
On 04/07/07, Bill Barker <wbarker@wilshire.com> wrote:

> "Anton Melser" <melser.anton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > (maybe a repost?)
> > Hi all,
> > We are running tomcat 5.5.23 on java 1.6.0 (suse 10.0 with addon java6
> > rpms for suse 10.1). These machines are load balanced behind an apache
> > 2.2.2 with mod_jk jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.15 (both compiled from
> > sources). We have a page that is showing the html source instead of
> > the page on firefox2. The funny thing is that when the page is
> > accessed directly then the content type is text/html (and the page
> > shows correctly) but when coming through mod_jk, it is coming as
> > IE7...
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Well, the default content-type for httpd is text/plain, so if you have a
> controller servlet something like:
>
>    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
>      throws ServletException, IOException {
>         req.setAttribute("myBean", myBean);
>         RequestDispatcher rd =
> getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/WEB-INF/jsps/display.jsp");
>         rd.include(req, res);
>     }
>
> Then the JSP page will not be able to add it's content-type header, so httpd
> will add it's default content-type header when the response is sent back.

We have this in our spring controller...

response.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");
response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
Writer writer= response.getWriter();
if(bText) {
	writer.append("<html><head><meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\"
content=\"text/html; charset=UTF-8\">\n</head>\n<body>\n");
}

writer.append(pageBody);

if(bText) {
	writer.append("\n</body></html>");
}

And the funny thing is that it seems to work... but only for straight
tomcat. I will make a confession - I do mainly .net these days and my
java (particularly web) is lacking in any real depth of understanding.
So I am guessing from your comments that the default content type of
tomcat is text/html? That is what we get with straight tomcat...
In any case, if this code is wrong then can someone give me a
suggestion to make it right?
Thanks again.
Anton