tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <and...@2sheds.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat with 8 GB memory
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:38:07 GMT

On 29/07/2007, at 9:08 PM, David Smith wrote:

> "...but people advice that 64bit are 20 - 30% slower than the
> 32bit ..."
>
> Could these people offer any evidence to this?  Cite any
> benchmarks?  I would like to see the evidence of this before
> believing it to be true.

We did test with out application - (running more than 10 tomcats
using F5s for Load balancing) and came to the belief that we could
deal with 15% more users online at the same time. As I said, though,
this was OUR application - maybe yours is different...

For our purposes however we also found Intel 5160s packed more punch
per $ than AMD Opterons - (Thankfully we don't have to worry about
paying the power bills in our colocation)...

Cheers

Andrew