tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kim-Vân Ho-Dac <kho...@optaros.com>
Subject LDAP authentication
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:08:33 GMT
Hi,

I'm getting started with Tomcat's Realm authentication with LDAP. I've
performed the following steps to authenticate users in my web application :

- put ldap.jar in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib

- modified $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml as follows :

<Realm   className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm" debug="99"
                        connectionURL="ldap://my_url:389"
                        userPattern="uid={0},ou=People,o=company"
                        roleBase="ou=People,o=company"
                        roleName="cn"
                        roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"
                        />
I've put this Realm configuration within the <Host> element

- modified the web.xml of my web application to point it to the url.

Then when I try to authenticate I get a 403 error, so it seems like
authentication is ok but I don't have authorization for accessing the
ressources.
Maybe the problem is because of the roles ? Because I couldn't see the
roles on the LDAP server with a LDAP browser, although authentication on
it the browser successful, as well as the queries.
Is there a possibility to authenticate with no roles (I'm not sure what
to put within the <role-name> in web.xml, is this element mandatory?) ?
Or how can we see the roles in the LDAP browser ?

Note : I'm using Tomcat 5.5.17 and OpenLDAP server.

Did I miss something in my process ?
Any hints or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.