tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Lee Rubinger <...@9mmedia.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat/AJP Client Abort Socket Errors - Leads to File Descriptor Leak
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:25:24 GMT
Hi.

Rainer Jung wrote:
> Do you have special evidence, that the broken piepe errors correlate to
> the increase in file descriptors? Or are you only assuming this, because
> you can't find any other errors in the logs?

Assuming.  Should have made this more clear.

> Can you see the connections for the file descriptors on the Apache
> machine and on the Tomcat machine (using netstat)? Are they in the same
> state? Which state?

Attached as file. :)

> At the moment I see no correlation between the client abort and a lost
> backend connection. There is another possible issue, if the file
> descriptor leak happens during tiume of low load.

FD Leak seems to occur at higher rate during high load.

> Since we just had a
> post about this on the list, I'm simply citing my last answer from
> another mail. Even if you think this does not apply to you, you should
> read the document the text refers to:
> If your analysis is correct, it's a known problem, that firewalls often
> drop idle connections, so mod_jk and Tomcat should both be configured to
> shut down idle connections. On the Tomcat side you should use the
> attribute connectionTimeout in the configuration of your AJP Connector
> in server.xml. The units are in milliseconds, so 10 Minutes would be
> 600000. On the mod_jk side you should use connection_pool_timeout, units
> are seconds, so 10 minutes are 600.

Thanks so much; will absolutely look into this.

> We have a new docs page about these things, which will go live next week
> with our 1.2.24 release. There is a preview for the page under
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-dev/docs/generic_howto/timeouts.html
>
> The next release 1.2.24 will include some improvements for this
> situation, but you would still need the timeouts on both ends.

Thanks so much for your help.  Again, not 100% sure this is a ModJK
issue (especially after your comments), but those are my only errors in
the logs and it seemed a natural conclusion.

S,
ALR