tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Stavrinides <p.stavrini...@albourne.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat with 8 GB memory
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:25:09 GMT
Our 64 bit machines outperform our 32 bit machines like night and day
using Tomcat 5, I can only imagine the difference with Tomcat 6... in
any event there is no difference for Tomcat it depends entirely on the
virtual machine.
 >> Big memory is useful ONLY if you have applications that can benefit
big memory such as database
 >>systems.
Actually it is allocated directly to the JVM so you can have 50 gig if
you want with no performance penalty

Andrew Miehs wrote:

> On 26/07/2007, at 10:57 AM, Joe Nathan wrote:
>> I would discourage to use such machine! 8GB means you are using 64 bit
>> machine which will be much slower than 32 bit machines. Big memory is
>> useful
>> ONLY if you have applications that can benefit big memory such as
>> database
>> systems. In Java, if you use lots of memory and create lots of
>> objects, your
>> Java applications will have periodic seisures! This is because of
>> garbage
>> collection will take significant time, if started.
>
> Dear Joe - I have more than 1 or 2 of these machines (16GB RAM, 6GB
> for Tomcat).
>
> The Sun 64bit JVM 1.5 is about 15% faster than the 32bit for our
> application.
> (Running under Tomcat)
>

>> I would be happy with 1 ~ 2 GB 32bit machines! This could deliver much
>> faster services.
>
> Java eats memory...
>
> The more memory you have, the more you can cache and the less you need to
> annoy your backend.
>

> Andrew

Peter Stavrinides
Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Ltd
Tel: +357 22 750652

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and
do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Please visit http://www.albourne.com/email.html
for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.