tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: What to put in Linux filesystem for Tomcat?
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:19:59 GMT

lightbulb432 wrote:
> What is the minimum set of folders and files needed for Tomcat to run on
> Linux? I ask because if you dedicate a server for Tomcat and nothing else,
> you must want to minimize the size of the filesystem, disable/delete all
> extra services, and more to increase the performance and decrease memory
> utilization of Linux, correct?

As Filip points out, all Tomcat needs is the JVM, and the JVM needs only
a few libraries that don't come with it (such as the standard C library).

Having "extra" packages installed (but not enabled) on a Linux system
won't slow down Tomcat or anything like that, but you're right -- it's
best not to install them in the first place.

Java ought to run on a bare-bones Linux installation. I dunno what
distro you are running, but if you install a package-managed version of
your JVM, then it should install all dependencies for you.

Otherwise, just install the binary packages from Sun (or IBM, etc.) and
then try to run your application. If the JVM starts up, you probably
have everything you need. I shouldn't have to say that you should test
everything very carefully before you go to production.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To start a new topic, e-mail: