tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Moore <>
Subject Re: Tomcat6 Manager App HOW-TO
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:49:10 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: John Moore []
>> Subject: Tomcat6 Manager App HOW-TO
>> It appears that the instruction to add (paths corrected)
>> <Context path="/manager" privileged="true"
>>     docBase="/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/manager">
>> </Context>
>> is wrong (based on message from Charles Caldarale on 5/16/2007)
> The path attribute is only valid when the <Context> element is in
> server.xml, which is strongly discouraged.  For other <Context> uses,
> the path is derived from the name of war file (or directory) or the name
> of the .xml file in conf/Catalina/[host].
i.e. Don't follow the directions..<G>

>> So.. in reading the rest of the instructions I'm finding
>> things are not quite working as documented.
> Please point out where in the Tomcat 6 doc you're finding discrepancies.
Everything I'm asking here comes from the Tomcat6 Manager HOW-TO..
(newly printed from the site)

You are basically saying, as I understand it,  that it is either wrong
or incomplete.

(It may, of course, just be that my ignorance is so bad that I can make
sense of it all..<G>)

>> 1) Is the instruction that you add a manager.xml to each
>>     $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]
>> ..folder required?
> Not for Tomcat 6, since the directory structure has changed.  In TC 5.5
> and older, the various management applications were located outside of
> the normal <Host> appBase (in server/webapps), and therefore required
> [appname].xml files in conf/Catalina/[host].  For TC 6, the management
> applications are located under the configured appBase directory, so
> their <Context> elements can be found in their respective META-INF
> directories.
> If you configure multiple <Host> elements with differing appBase
> attributes, you have two choices.  Either copy the management
> applications to each appBase, or keep them in one spot and create
> [appname].xml files with appropriate docBase attributes in each
> conf/[engine]/[host], similar to TC 5.5.
Great thanks..  That is the missing piece(s) in the docs...  Ditto for
your following advice..