tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Faircloth" <Mark.Faircl...@connaught.plc.uk>
Subject Log4j errors on Tomcat6 startup
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:23:27 GMT
Hi,

We are in the process of migrating from 5.5 to 6 under Win32/64 and need
to alter the locations of some of our jars files because of the changes
to the directory structure and the class loading.

Under 5.5 we have commons-logging.jar and log4j.jar in WEB-INF\lib and
that works fine. For 6 we have put commons-logging and log4j.jar into
\lib otherwise it fails on loading any context listeners. We also have a
copy of log4j.jar still in WEB-INF\lib for webapp specific logging
pretty much as the documentation states.

This all runs okay and we get the output we would expect but on start-up
we get errors in the stdout log such as:

log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender" object is not
assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.Appender" variable.

log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.Appender" was loaded by

log4j:ERROR [org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@bbe0f0a]
whereas object of type

log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender" was loaded by
[WebappClassLoader

  delegate: false

  repositories:

    /WEB-INF/classes/

----------> Parent Classloader:

org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@bbe0f0a

].

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named "MAIN".

Understandably considering we are class loading in two places. My
question is, are these error messages really benign and can we get rid
of them somehow or are we doing something wrong and need to investigate
further?

Many thanks

Mark

Connaught wins RoSPA Gold Award for fifth year running

Considerate Contractor Gold Award in 2006

Partnering Contractor of the Year Award in 2005

Please visit our website to see a full list of Connaught's Registered Companies www.connaught.plc.uk/Investors/Registered-Companies

Disclaimer:
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
contact the sender and delete this message.
Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546