tomcat-users mailing list archives

From lightbulb432 <veerukrish...@hotmail.com>
Subject HttpSession questions
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:47:47 GMT

Why is it that you need an HttpSession in order to get a ServletContext? I
tried to obtain a ServletContext using an HttpServletRequest, but this isn't
possible in the API, unless you do a
request.getSession().getServletContext().

This creates a session, however, and I'm not sure I need a session to be
created at the point in time where I am obtaining the ServletContext - all I
want to do is have access to something I put in application scope earlier
on.

If I do a request.getSession(), then a session is started. If I do a
request.getSession(false), then a NullPointerException will be thrown if I
call getServletContext() on it. Why has the API been designed in such a way
- after all, since it's possible to know what servlet context each request
is going to, then shouldn't you be able to get the servlet context from the
request?

Thanks.